[The Bounds.] Queen Hith Ward. [Trinity Church.]208

[The Bounds.] Queen Hith Ward. [Trinity Church.]

QUEEN HITH WARD. The Bounds. The Church of the Holy Trinity. St. Nicolas Cold Abby. St. Nicolas Olave. Bishop of Hereford's Inn. St. Mary Mounthaut. St. Mary Somerset. St. Peters Pauls Wharf. Queen Hith. The Customs there. The present State of this Ward.

NEXT unto Breadstreet Ward on the South side thereof, is Queen Hith Ward, so called of a Water-gate, or Harborow for Boats, Lighters and Barges; and was (of old time) for Ships, at what time, the Timber Bridge of London was drawn up, for the passage of them to the said Hith; as to a principal Strand for landing and unlading against the midst and heart of the City. This Ward beginneth in the East, in Knightriders street, on the South side thereof, at the East end of the Parish Church called the Holy Trinity; and runneth West on the South side, to a Lane called Lambert hill, which is the length of the Ward in Knightriders street. Out of the which Street are divers Lanes, running South to Thames street, and are of this Ward. The first is Trinity lane, which runneth down by the West end of Trinity Church. Then is Spuren lane, or Spooners * lane, now called Huggen lane. Then Breadstreet hill. Then St. Mary Mounthaut. Out of the which Lane, on the East side thereof, is one other Lane, turning East through St. Nicolas Olaves Churchyard, to Breadstreet hill. This Lane is called Finimore lane, or Five Foot lane, because it is but five Foot in breadth at the West end. In the midst of this Lane, runneth down one other Lane, broader, South to Thames street. I think the same to be called Desborne lane; for I read of such a Lane to have been in the Parish of St. Mary Somerset, in the 22d of Edward III. Where there is said to lie between the Tenement of Edward de Mountacute, Kt. on the East part, and the Tenement sometime pertaining to William Gladwine, on the West, one plot of Ground, containing in length towards Thames street, Twenty five Foot, &c.

Queen Hith Ward.

The Bounds.

Knightriders street.

Trinity lane.

*Sporrers. First Edit.

Spurren lane, or Huggen lane.

Finimore, or Five Foot lane.

Dosborn lane.

Last of all, have you Lambart hill, so called of one Lambart, an Owner thereof; and this is the farthest West part of this Ward.

Lambart hill.

On the North side, coming down from Knightriders street, the East side Lambart hill is wholly of this Ward: And the West side, from the North end of the Blacksmiths Hall (which is about the midst of this Lane) unto Thames street. Then part of Thames street is also of this Ward; to wit, from a Cook's House called the Sign of King David, three Houses West from the Old Swan Brewhouse in the East, unto Huntington House, over against St. Peters Church in the West, near unto Pauls Wharf. And on the Lane side, from a Cook's House called the Blue Boar, to the West end of St. Peters Church, and up St. Peters Hill, two Houses North above the said Church. And these be the Bounds of this Ward; in which are Parish Churches seven, Halls of Companies two, and other Ornaments, as shall be shewed.

The Parish Church of the HOLY TRINITY.


First, in Knightriders street is the small Parish Church of the Holy Trinity, lately very old, and in danger of down falling. Collections were made for the repairing thereof, but they would not stretch so far; and therefore it leaned upon Props or Stilts, till the Year 1606. it being so lamentably decayed and perished, that (in the great Necessity of it) the Parishioners were constrained to pull it down to the Ground. And from thence, with what speed they could, with much Cost and Care, to rebuild it. Which in the Years 1607, and 1608. was finished. And to enable them to go through with this chargeable Work, a general Assistance was given, as appeared by a publick Notice thereof, declared in Writing, in the Church.

Trinity Church.

Pulled down and rebuilt.


For in the South Ile, in the Wall, hung two large Tables: The one shewing the Contributions of all the Parishioners; the other the Contributions of all the Parishes within and without the City, towards the rebuilding of it. Containing the particular Sums of every Man's Gift in the First, and of every Parish in the Second, there fairly set down.

Richard Owsal,
George Haffeld,
} then Churchwardens.

To this pious Work also, the Worshipful Companies of the Merchant Taylors and Vintners, were very bounteous Benefactors.

As also these Aldermen,

Sir Thomas Cambel,} { Sir William Craven,
Sir John Swinnerton,} { Sir Tho. Middleton.
Sir John Gore,} {

Their Names and Arms standing in a fair Window at the upper end of the Chancel.

This Church was also repaired and beautified at the Cost and Charge of the Parish, in the Year of our Lord 1629.


Nicolas Salby,
Thomas Allam.

This Church consumed in the great Devastation by Fire, is indeed rebuilt; but is become a Church for Lutherans to serve God in; by the procurement chiefly of Theodore Jacobson; and the Parish united to Queen Hith.


J. S.

There have been no Legacies or charitable Gifts belonging to the Parish, as the Churchwardens, 1693. knew of, given or left, either for Sermons or Reparations.


But fifteen Shillings per ann. for the Poor, payable to this Trinity Parish; to which a Stop was put about ten Years ago, or more, till a Difference depending were decided.