Broadstreet Ward. Dutch Church there. 112

Broadstreet Ward. Dutch Church there.

" to constitute him King of this Country, he swore to them, that if any molested them in their Churches, they addressing to him, he would avenge them. And that tho' they were not his proper Subjects, yet he would maintain and cherish them, as much as any Prince in the World." He took notice also of their former good Deserts to the Queen and Kingdom: that is, "How they had always prayed for the late Queen, and never gone beyond the Limits of their Duty; and how they had enriched the Realm with many Arts, Manufactures, and Sciences useful to the Publick."

Further, in the year 1642. they preferred a Petition to the House of Lords, in behalf of themselves and of the Reformed Foreign Churches in the Realm; as in Norwich, Colchester, Canterbury, Sandwich, &c. to this Purpose: "That there might be an Ordinance of Parliament for settling the Liberty and Exercise of their Religion and Discipline, as they were used beyond the Seas respectively in the Reformed Churches of their several Nations: and which they had hitherto enjoyed by the Charter of King Edward VI. of ever blessed Memory; authorized by this Parliament, and the gracious Favour of all the succeeding Princes." Particularly,

This Church petitions the House of Lords An. 1642.

"First, That they might have free Liberty to chuse and appoint their own Ministers, and all other Officers belonging to their Churches, according to their Discipline."

" Secondly, That no Member of their Congregations, being under the Censure of their Discipline, by reason of some scandalous Offence committed, might be received as Member of any other Church without a Certification from his own Church. "

" Thirdly, That no Church or Congregation of Foreigners should be authorized in this Realm, which was not subject respectively to the Synods of their several Nations." They added Reasons for the third Article.

Hereupon on Saturday Jan. 21.1642. (by Report of the Earl of Northumberland) the House ordered, "That there be an Ordinance of Parliament, for settling of the Liberty and Exercise of their Religion and Discipline, as they are used beyond the Seas respectively in the Reformed Churches of their Several Nations, which they have hitherto enjoyed by the Charter of King Edward VI. authorized by Parliament, and the Favour of all succeeding Princes of the Reformed Religion, Queen Elizabeth, King James, and his Majesty that now is. In particular First, &c. as above in the three Articles."

The Lords Order hereupon.

About 16 or 18 years ago this Dutch Congregation in Augustin Fryers built at their common Charge, upon a Piece of Ground in Middle Moorfields, purchased by them, a fair Almshouse, containing 26 Rooms, for the harbouring their Poor, either Men or Women, besides one complete Room, where the Elders and Deacons meet Weekly to pay the Pensions of the Almsfolks there, or to do other Business relating to their Poor. The Pensions are either more or less according as their Necessities require. The Rooms are not so appropriated to the Dutch Nation, but that any English Woman, whose Husband had been a Member of the said Church, is capable of being admitted. And oftentimes it happens that there be more English than Dutch harboured there.]

The Dutch Church Almshouse.

That Portion of this Church which was East, and not granted to these Strangers, the foresaid Powlet Earl of Wilts obtained in the fourth also of the said King: Who of his special Grace granted him totam superiorem partem Ecclesiæ nu- per fratrum Augustinen. infra Civitatem London. viz. Le Quere, La Cros Ile, & capellas ibidem. As I find it entred in a MS. Journal of King Edward's Gifts and Sales: Where the Test of his Patent is the 22d of July; that is, two Days before that to the Strangers.]

The Quire granted to Powlet.

This other part then, namely, the Steeple, Quire, and side Iles to the Quire adjoining, the Earl reserved to houshold Uses, as for stowage of Corn, Coal, and other things. His Son and Heir, Marquesse of Winchester, sold the Monuments of Noblemen (there buried) in great number, the paving Stone, and whatsoever, (which cost many thousands) for one hundred Pounds, and in place thereof made fair stabling for Horses. He caused the Lead to be taken off the Roofs of the Church, and laid Tile in place thereof; which exchange of Lead for Tile proved not so profitable as he looked for, but rather to his disadvantage.

The Monuments sold.

Here was a Glass House; where Venice Glasses were made; and Venetians employed in the Work: And Mr. James Howel, an ingenious Man in King James the First his Reign, was Steward to this House (who was afterwards Clark to the Council to K. Charles I.) When he left this Place, scarce able to bear the continual Heat of it, he thus wittily exprest himself, that had he continued still Steward, he should in a short time have melted away to nothing among those hot Venetians. This Place afterwards became Pinners Hall: And of later Years some part of it hath been fitted up with a Pulpit and Pews for Dissenters from the Church of England to meet in, and where is preached on Tuesdays, The Merchants Lecture, as it is called.]


J. S.

Howel's Famil. Lett.

Pinners Hall.

On the East side of this Broadstreet, which is the back part of Gresham House in Bishopsgate Street, be placed eight proper Almshouses builded of Brick and Timber, by Sir Tho. Gresham, Kt. for eight Alms Men, there placed Rent free: and receive each of them by his Gift, 6l. 13s. 4d. yearly for ever.

Gresham's Almshouses.

The Parish Church of St. PETER the Poor.


Next unto Powlet House, is the Parish Church of St. Peter the Poor; so called for a difference from other of that Name; sometime (peradventure) a poor Parish, but at this present there be many fair Houses, possessed by rich Merchants, and others.

Church of St. Peter the Poor.

This Parish hath been also called St. Peter's by S. Austine Friers. As appears by an Instrument I have seen in the Tower Records, for founding of a Chauntry at St. Botolph's Billinsgate. Where the Founder gives one Tenement cum parvo Gardino cum pertinentiis in Paroch. S. Petri juxta fres. Sti Augustini in Warda de Broadstrete.]

St. Peter's by St. Augustin's.

J. S.

There hath been in this Church since the beginning of the Year 1615. to the Year 1630. many costly Repairs and Charges. In the Year 1615. this Church was on the West Side enlarged, in the Breadth 8 Foot and better, by the taking down of the North Wall, and over a Slip of Ground that formerly lay behind it so far outward, erecting another. Upon the Foundation of the old Wall were erected new Pillars and Arches, and from them to the new, a fair Roof.



This empty, useless and rude Piece of Ground, being turned to this Use and Beauty (with the very fair Windows in it) at the sole Cost and Charges of Sir William Garway, Kt. who at the East End of this Wall, in a Vault, (made likewise at his own Cost) lyes under his fair Monument interred. The Charge of this Ile was 400l.

In the Year 1616. this new Ile and the whole Church was new pewed, and the great Window in the Chancel enlarged.