Michael is Director of The Digital Humanities Institute. He has nearly 30 years of experience in developing, managing and delivering large collaborative research projects and technology R&D in the humanities and heritage subject domains.
He is currently Principal Investigator (UK) on the project C21 Editions: Scholarly Editing and Publishing in the Digital Age (AHRC and Irish Research Council) and Co-Investigator on the project Scoping Future Data Services (AHRC).
He was Principal Investigator on the following projects: Connecting Shakespeare (HEIF), Dewdrop (Jisc), Reinventing Local Public Libraries (HEIF), and Manuscripts Online (Jisc); Co-Investigator on the following projects: Intoxicants and Early Modernity (ESRC/AHRC), Linguistic DNA (AHRC), Beyond the Multiplex (AHRC) and Ways of Being in the Digital Age (ESRC); and has been the technical lead on a wide number of projects such as Digital Panopticon (AHRC).
Michael oversees the work of the DHI which includes:
- Responsibility for the development and delivery of its research projects.
- Initiating and developing research funding proposals.
- Overseeing the DHI’s postgraduate degree programmes.
- Developing the DHI’s operations and strategic objectives.
- Managing the DHI’s relationship with its clients and stakeholders.
- Developing new relationships and business opportunities.
- Representing the DHI nationally and internationally as well as within the University more widely.
- Overseeing the online resources which the DHI hosts on behalf of its partners.
Michael serves as the main point of contact for project partners undertaking a collaboration with the DHI and he bears responsibility for the DHI’s commitments to its projects.
- Data ontologies
- Scholarly digital editions
- Research infrastructure
- Information systems design
- Online publishing
- Cultural data
- XML, databases and data models
- Social media data mining
- Project management
I am Programme Director for the MA in Cultural Data Management & Communication. I teach on the following modules:
- IPA61001 Introduction to Cultural Data
- IPA61002 Managing Digital Projects
- IPA61006, Digital Culture and Cultural Data e-Portfolio