Search for a Place Name:

Benefice of WINCHESTER, HOLY TRINITY

(WN.WN.WN.X51) variants

This figure is the total assessed value of the benefice. Note that for a cathedral church a zero figure is given because its assessed value is derived from holdings which are listed elsewhere in the taxatio text.

     Assessment for tax:
£ 0. 0s. 0d.

The modern name of the benefice together with the church dedication and the grid reference of the church building (the latter can be used to access Google Maps). Constituent parts of the benefice, such as vicarage, dependent chapels, pensions, portions and prebends, with their values, are also listed here.

     Benefice details:
WINCHESTER, HOLY TRINITY     
SU4852931 ded: HOLY TRINITY

The patronage status of the benefice in 1291-2, the date of the taxatio, as much as can be found in contemporary or near-contemporary sources. The line includes the type of patronage: ecclesiastical, secular or monastic; the name of the patron; and for monastic patrons, the order of their religious house.

     Patronage:
secular, John Ingepenne 2     

The Full Entry section displays the basic text of the new edition of the taxatio based on the Latin texts available. Each line represents a taxable item. The full Latin text from the manuscript appears on the left in bold. The corresponding value appears on the right both in pounds shillings and pence and beneath in marks

     Full entry:
Custos capelle Sancte Trinitatis 3     
variants
(added after 1291-2 and perhaps after 1302-3, and of very low value)

Supplementary information relating to the benefice or to other data given in the display. A source button after the note gives the full reference for the information. If a reference abbreviation in the note is not expanded in the source button, the full reference can be found in the References menu (forthcoming). If the note mentions a benefice by benkey rather than name, it can be found via the benkey search option.

     Notes:
1 The grid reference is approximate for the possible site of the chapel of the Holy Trinity, which was founded within the cemetery of St Mary's Abbey in 1318 or very shortly before. It was dissolved in the reign of Edward VI.     
2 In 1318 this chapel is referred to as having been built by Roger de Inkepenne, citizen of Winchester: RegSandale 275.     
3 Although it is possible that there was a chapel of Holy Trinity at the time of the taxatio, it seems more likely that this item refers to a chapel (with warden and chaplain) newly ('de novo') constructed and newly endowed in 1318. It was in the cemetery of St Mary's abbey, Winchester. See RegSandale 271-6. It is, therefore, an indication that the taxatio version WCWN (as also the later DWN) is not exclusively, though surely predominantly, a listing of items as in 1291-2. The chapel was clearly not parochial, and its income may, indeed, have been largely temporal rather than spiritual: see the endowments in RegSandale 273-4.     

You can also browse the Taxatio database: