Search for a Place Name:

Benefice of COMPTON

(WN.SU.GU.24) variants

This figure is the total assessed value of the benefice. Note that for a cathedral church a zero figure is given because its assessed value is derived from holdings which are listed elsewhere in the taxatio text.

     Assessment for tax:
£ 17. 1s. 4d.

The modern name of the benefice together with the church dedication and the grid reference of the church building (the latter can be used to access Google Maps). Constituent parts of the benefice, such as vicarage, dependent chapels, pensions, portions and prebends, with their values, are also listed here.

     Benefice details:
COMPTON
SU954470 ded: ST NICHOLAS     
(pension) CHERTSEY ABBEY, SURREY, SACRIST £ 0. 8s. 0d.

The patronage status of the benefice in 1291-2, the date of the taxatio, as much as can be found in contemporary or near-contemporary sources. The line includes the type of patronage: ecclesiastical, secular or monastic; the name of the patron; and for monastic patrons, the order of their religious house.

     Patronage:
secular, John de Brudeforde 1     

The Full Entry section displays the basic text of the new edition of the taxatio based on the Latin texts available. Each line represents a taxable item. The full Latin text from the manuscript appears on the left in bold. The corresponding value appears on the right both in pounds shillings and pence and beneath in marks

     Full entry:
Ecclesia de Cumpton' 2     
£ 16. 13s. 4d.
25m.
Et est pensio in     
variants
£ 0. 8s. 0d.
0.6m.

Supplementary information relating to the benefice or to other data given in the display. A source button after the note gives the full reference for the information. If a reference abbreviation in the note is not expanded in the source button, the full reference can be found in the References menu (forthcoming). If the note mentions a benefice by benkey rather than name, it can be found via the benkey search option.

     Notes:
1 In 1313 the king had presented to this church, having recovered advowson against the claims of John le Mareschal de Guldeford, John le Sweyn de Brudeford and Andrew de Stoghtone: RegWoodlock 738-9. However, John de Brudeforde presented in 1323 as the 'true patron': RegAsserio 516. Whatever the nature of Crown's claim to patronage, it appears to have been shortlived. For the disputed secular patronage in the early fourteenth century see also VCHSurrey3 24.     
2 This church is not to be confused with the church of Compton in Hants (see WN.WN.WN.11).

You can also browse the Taxatio database: