Benefice of LONDON, ST JOHN UPON WALBROOK(LO.LO.LO.14) variants
Assessment for tax:
This figure is the total assessed value of the benefice. Note that for a cathedral church a zero figure is given because its assessed value is derived from holdings which are listed elsewhere in the taxatio text.
|£ 5. 8s. 8d.|
The modern name of the benefice together with the church dedication and the grid reference of the church building (the latter can be used to access Google Maps). Constituent parts of the benefice, such as vicarage, dependent chapels, pensions, portions and prebends, with their values, are also listed here.
The patronage status of the benefice in 1291-2, the date of the taxatio, as much as can be found in contemporary or near-contemporary sources. The line includes the type of patronage: ecclesiastical, secular or monastic; the name of the patron; and for monastic patrons, the order of their religious house.
Whether or not the benefice was appropriated at or near 1291-2, the date of the taxatio. The line includes the type of position instituted, collated or presented, and the date. The information is shown only if available from contemporary or near-contemporary sources.
The Full Entry section displays the basic text of the new edition of the taxatio based on the Latin texts available. Each line represents a taxable item. The full Latin text from the manuscript appears on the left in bold. The corresponding value appears on the right both in pounds shillings and pence and beneath in marks
Supplementary information relating to the benefice or to other data given in the display. A source button after the note gives the full reference for the information. If a reference abbreviation in the note is not expanded in the source button, the full reference can be found in the References menu (forthcoming). If the note mentions a benefice by benkey rather than name, it can be found via the benkey search option.
1 Not rebuilt after the fire of 1666, parts of the churchyard lasted into the mid- 1980s. Set into the rear of 70-74 Cannon Street is a little stone monument commemorating the church.
2 At the time of or shortly after the Norwich taxatio of 1254 the patron was stated as William son of Reynerus: SPM WD9 53 (LuntNorwich 333); but by 1303 the advowson was in the hands of St Helen's nunnery in London: MunimentaRiley2i 236 (LCLOA 182). There is mention of a rector in 1318 (RegBaldock 187), but the nearest extant presentation seems to be in 1373 (RegSudbury1 288, and see NewcourtRep1 370-1).