Search for a Place Name:

Benefice of OVER STOWEY

(BW.TA.BW.13) variants

This figure is the total assessed value of the benefice. Note that for a cathedral church a zero figure is given because its assessed value is derived from holdings which are listed elsewhere in the taxatio text.

     Assessment for tax:
£ 8. 13s. 4d.

The modern name of the benefice together with the church dedication and the grid reference of the church building (the latter can be used to access Google Maps). Constituent parts of the benefice, such as vicarage, dependent chapels, pensions, portions and prebends, with their values, are also listed here.

     Benefice details:
OVER STOWEY
ST185385 ded: ST PETER in the twelfth century, ST PETER AND ST PAUL by 1532     

The patronage status of the benefice in 1291-2, the date of the taxatio, as much as can be found in contemporary or near-contemporary sources. The line includes the type of patronage: ecclesiastical, secular or monastic; the name of the patron; and for monastic patrons, the order of their religious house.

     Patronage:
ecclesiastical, Bath and Wells, Somers, bishop, 1     

Whether or not the benefice was appropriated at or near 1291-2, the date of the taxatio. The line includes the type of position instituted, collated or presented, and the date. The information is shown only if available from contemporary or near-contemporary sources.

     If appropriated:
No (inst.) rectory 1325

The Full Entry section displays the basic text of the new edition of the taxatio based on the Latin texts available. Each line represents a taxable item. The full Latin text from the manuscript appears on the left in bold. The corresponding value appears on the right both in pounds shillings and pence and beneath in marks

     Full entry:
Ecclesia de Staweye Superioris     
£ 8. 13s. 4d.
13m.

Supplementary information relating to the benefice or to other data given in the display. A source button after the note gives the full reference for the information. If a reference abbreviation in the note is not expanded in the source button, the full reference can be found in the References menu (forthcoming). If the note mentions a benefice by benkey rather than name, it can be found via the benkey search option.

     Notes:
1 This church had been, by episcopal grant, in the patronage of the abbey of Lonlay, dep. Orne, France, in the latter part of the twelfth century (EEA10 28, 104), but it returned to episcopal patronage in 1239 (CartStMark 162-3) and was granted by Bishop Droxford to the hospital of St Mark's Bristol in 1326, to which it immediately became appropriated, and a vicarage was ordained in 1327 (CalWells1 205, 402, RegDrok 270). For the rector in 1325 see RegDrok 238, 242; and it was surely the bishop who collated in 1325. After the appropriation and ordination of a vicarage, it was the bishop who collated to the vicarage (as in 1352 and 1362: RegShrews2 681, 756). See also VCHSomers6 168.     

You can also browse the Taxatio database: