Search for a Place Name:

Benefice of WALTON IN GORDANO

(BW.BA.RC.18) variants

This figure is the total assessed value of the benefice. Note that for a cathedral church a zero figure is given because its assessed value is derived from holdings which are listed elsewhere in the taxatio text.

     Assessment for tax:
£ 5. 0s. 0d.

The modern name of the benefice together with the church dedication and the grid reference of the church building (the latter can be used to access Google Maps). Constituent parts of the benefice, such as vicarage, dependent chapels, pensions, portions and prebends, with their values, are also listed here.

     Benefice details:
WALTON IN GORDANO
ST4097261 ded: ST MARY      ST PAUL (previous dedication)     

The patronage status of the benefice in 1291-2, the date of the taxatio, as much as can be found in contemporary or near-contemporary sources. The line includes the type of patronage: ecclesiastical, secular or monastic; the name of the patron; and for monastic patrons, the order of their religious house.

     Patronage:
secular, Andrew de Brumpton     

The Full Entry section displays the basic text of the new edition of the taxatio based on the Latin texts available. Each line represents a taxable item. The full Latin text from the manuscript appears on the left in bold. The corresponding value appears on the right both in pounds shillings and pence and beneath in marks

     Full entry:
Ecclesia de Stok' supra Mare 2     
Excluded from the moiety
£ 5. 0s. 0d.
7.5m.

Supplementary information relating to the benefice or to other data given in the display. A source button after the note gives the full reference for the information. If a reference abbreviation in the note is not expanded in the source button, the full reference can be found in the References menu (forthcoming). If the note mentions a benefice by benkey rather than name, it can be found via the benkey search option.

     Notes:
1 The settlement at Walton St Mary within Walton in Gordano was the site earlier known as Stoke-super-Mare. St Mary's church here, consecrated in 1870, was the restoration of a church which had been dedicated to St Paul, of which only the ruined tower and portion of the east wall survived. The grid reference is for this church, since the present parish church of Walton in Gordano, now dedicated to St Paul, was built in 1710.     
2 For the identification of this church with Walton in Gordano see RegDrok 347.     

You can also browse the Taxatio database: