The TEMPORAL GOVERNMENT. [Companies.]176


at St. Sithes. Where many Years after, his Arms (which were Azure, between three Lozenges Argent, a Chevron of the same charged with three Griphons Heads erased of the first. On a Chief Chequy Or and Gules, a Greyhound running, Ermin) were taken down by his Son Richard Warren. And these set up in place thereof; viz. Argent, a Chevron engrailed, Sable, between three Griphons Heads erased of the same.

Sir Richard Gresham, Maior 1538. Buried in St. Laurence in the Jury. Whose Arms also were taken down by his Son Sir Thomas Gresham. Which were, Argent, a Chevron Sable, between three Mullets pierced of the first. On a Chief Gules, a Pelican between two Lions Paws erased. And instead thereof, the same Coat, leaving out the Chief.

Sir William Hollis, Maior 1540. Buried at St. Helen's, Ann. 1542, with these Arms set up for him: Azure, a Bend Or, charged with three Tortoises between a Talbot and a Dolphin Bendwise, Argent. Which Coat was afterwards defaced, and this set up new for him; Ermin, two Piles in point, Sable. Which Family is now in Nottinghamshire.

Sir Michael Dormer, Maior 1542. Buried at St. Laurence in the Jury. Where his Monument was to be seen on the outside of the Church beneath the Porch. This Family is of great Worship in Buckinghamshire.

Sir John Gresham, Maior 1548. Buried at Bassinghal Church, Anno 1556. He dwelt where Sir Leonard Halliday, who was Maior Ann. 1605. afterwards dwelt. He gave the Coat of the Greshams with a Chief Or, a Trefoil Azure, between two Asses Heads erased Sable, Collered. This Family continued afterwards in Norfolk.

Sir Rowland Hill, Maior 1550. Buried at St. Stephen's in Walbrook 1561. He dwelt in Walbrook, over against the said Church.

Sir Thomas Leigh, Maior the first Year of Queen Elizabeth, viz. 1559. He dwelt in the Old Jury; his House joining on the North of Mercers Chappel; where he was buried. His Arms were Gules, between four Unicorns Heads erased Or, a Cross engrailed Argent, charged with 5 Hurts, an Ermin in each. His Sons have since altered the Arms into Gules, a Cross engrailed Argent, a Lozenge of the same in the first Quarter.

Sir Richard Mallory, Maior 1565. He dwelt in Cheapside, at the Sign of the Golden Key, at Sopers-lane end. And was buried in Mercers Chappel.

Sir Roger Martin, Maior 1568. Dwelt on the West side of Sopars-lane, over against St. Stephen Some. And was buried at St. Anthonines in Budge-Row, Ann. 1573.

Sir William Allen, Maior 1572. He was first free of the Leathersellers. And dwelt, when he was Sheriff, in Bow-lane; when he was Maior, in Tower-street. But buried at St. Butolph's without Bishopsgate. In which Parish he was born.

Sir Lionel Ducket, Maior 1573. He dwelt in Woodstreet in St. Peter's Parish. But buried in the Country where he died.

Sir Thomas Benet, Maior 1604.

☞ Hitherto I have been assisted by a Manuscript, wrote by William Smith, Rouge Dragon, a painful Tracer of the Maiors of London of this and the rest of the Twelve Companies: Communicated kindly to me by Peers Mauduit, Esq; Windsor Herald.

Sir Henry Row,} {1607.
Sir Thomas Atkins, }{1645.
Sir John Dethick,}Maior{1656.
Sir Richard Ford,}{1671.
Sir John Peak,}{1687.
Sir John Chapman,}{1688.
Sir Thomas Lane,}Maior {1695.
Sir Edward Clark,}{1697.
Sir William Gore,}{1702.

The present Master of this Company is Sir Charles Cook, Knight, and Alderman.]


[ Click here to view Image of coat of arms, Grocers' Company   ]

THE Company of GROCERS (in elder times called PEPPERERS) were first incorporated by the Name of Grocers, in the twentieth Year of King Edward the III. Anno Dom. 1345. The Arms and Supporters granted by Thomas Benoit, Clarencieux, in the Time of King Hen. the VIII. [Viz. Anno 1531.] {query}Helm and Crest, afterwards granted, and the same Arms and Supporters confirmed by William Hervey, Clarencieux under the Seal of his Office, and the Seal of his Arms Ann. 1562. 4 Reg. Elizab. And approved in a Visitation Ann. 1634.

The Arms.

J. S.

The Hall of this Company is situate in the Poultry, in a Lane somewhat Westward of St. Mildreds Church. In the Hall are the Pictures of Sir John Cutler, Sir John More, Sir John Fleet, Aldermen, drawn in their full Proportions. In respect of the largeness and convenient Situation of it, it hath been made use of by several Lord Maiors; now it is taken up by the Bank of England.

The Hall.

This Company of Grocers traded in divers Commodities, some by Wholesale, some by Retale, but chiefly in Fruits of Foreign Growth, as Figs, Almonds, Raisins, Corinths, commonly called Currants; also in Sugars, and Spice: But so much in that of Pepper, that they were anciently called Pepperers: Whereof we meet with many Citizens of great Wealth and Substance in former Times. And in the later Times of Queen Elizabeth, some there were called Pepperers, as dealing only in Pepper, which was commonly laid up in Leadenhal.


In the Year 1589, or thereabouts, a great Spanish Carack, richly laden with Plate and other Commodities, was taken from the Spaniard, and brought into England: wherein, among other Goods, was a considerable Quantity of Pepper: Which the Dealers in Pepper had bought of the Queen at a good rate. Whereof having sold about eighty Bags, divers Parcels of Pepper were brought in upon them by the procurement of the Grocers, to furnish themselves at cheaper rates than they had bought of her Majesty. And a long Time of Sickness in the Nation had proved a great lett to them in the Sale of it. They feared therefore the hardness of the Bargain would greatly impoverish their Estates. Wherefore they petitioned the Lord Treasurer, that the Queen

A Spanish Prize of Pepper.