Cripplegate Ward. [St. Albans Woodstreet.] 76

Cripplegate Ward. [St. Albans Woodstreet.]

Stone Walls, brasse Towers,     
decay as Flowers:
One gone, their good     
is, Lo! here they stood.
So transitory     
is our Glory.

This Stone, this Verse,     
two Mountfords doe present,
The Corps of one,     
the others Monument:
Two lovely Brethren,     
by their Vertues knowne,
Whom Cambridge, and     
Kings Colledge cal'd their own.
Osbert and Richard,     
of which worthy paire,
The first imployed     
by Sea in great affaire;
Made Heaven his Haven.     
And at that Port, the other
(By Land) did overtake     
his elder Brother.
So now the Bones     
of both are laid asleepe,
These in this Church,     
those in the Easterne Deepe:
Till all the dead     
shall wake from Sea and Land,
Before the Judge     
of quicke and dead to stand.

We Sonne-lesse Parents;     
yet not Childlesse left,
Bewaile (as Men)     
our Seed untimely rest.
As Christians, we hope,     
and joy, and say;
Heaven is our home,     
and thither, Death the way.
By Sea or Land,     
it skils not, so we minde
The faithful Pilgrims     
narrow path to finde. Mort.
Osbert, Mense Decemb. 1614.
Richard, Mense Jan. 1615.]

A comely Monument in the East end of the South Isle.

Queen Elizabeth's Monument in this Church.


Then next to this is Woodstreet, by what Reason so called, I know not. True it is, that (of old time) according to a Decree made in the Reign of Richartd I. Houses in London were builded of Stone, for defence of Fire. Which kind of Building was used for two Hundred Years or more: But of later time, for the winning of Ground, these Houses have been taken down, and Houses of Timber set up in place. It seemeth therefore, that this Street hath been of the later building, all of Timber, (for not one House of Stone hath been known there) and therefore called Woodstreet: Otherwise it might take the Name of some Builder or Owner thereof.

Woodstreet, why so called.

Stone Houses.

Thomas Wood, one of the Sheriffs, in the Year 1491. dwelled there: He was an especial Benefactor towards the building of St. Peters Church at Woodstreet end. He also builded the beautiful Front of the Houses in Cheap, over against Woodstreet end, which is called Goldsmiths Row; garnished with the likeness of Woodmen. His Predeccessors might be the first Builders, Owners and Namers of this Street, after their own Name.

Thomas Wood.

Goldsmiths Row.

On the East side of this Street is one of the Prison Houses, pertaining to the Sheriffs of London, and is called the Compter in Woodstreet. Which was prepared to be a Prison House, in the Year 1555. And on the Eve of St. Michael the Archangel, the Prisoners that lay in the Compter in Broadstreet, were removed to this Compter in Woodstreet. Beneath this Compter is Lad lane, or Ladle Hall; for so I find it of Record, in the Parish of St. Michael in Woodstreet; and beneath that is Love lane, so called of Wantons.

Compter in Woodstreet.

Ladle lane, corruptly called Lad lane.

The Parish Church of St. ALBANS Woodstreet.


By this Lane, is the antient Parish Church of St. Albans.

St. Albans.

A. M.

One Note of the great Antiquity of it, is the Name; by which it was at first dedicated to St. Albane; the first Martyr of England. Another Character of the Antiquity of it, is to be seen in the manner of the turning of the Arches in the Windows, and Heads of the Pillars. A third Note appears in the Roman Bricks, here and there inlaid amongst the Stones of the Building. Very probable it is, that this Church is, at least, of as antient a standing, as King Adelstane the Saxon; who, as the Tradition says, had his House at the East end of this Church. This King's House having a Door also into Adelstreet, in this Parish, gave Name, as 'tis thought, unto the said Adelstreet: Which on all Evidences, to this Day, is written King Adelstreet. One great square Tower of this Kings House, seems yet remaining; to be seen at the North corner of Love lane, as you come from Aldermanbury: Which Tower is of the very same Stone, and manner of Building, with St. Alban's Church. This Church, decayed with meer age, is this Year *, beginning to be taken down, and to be new builded.

Conjectures of the Antiquity of this Church.


*An. 1633.

This Church, being wonderfully decayed and perished, was by these Gentlemen, Sir Henry Spiller, Enigo Jones, Esq; Captain Leake, and Captain Williams, surveyed, to see what repair might help it. But by these Gentlemen, and Workmen appointed with them, it was found to be too far gone for Repair. Neither would any Workman put himself into hazard upon it; affirming it to be in every part of it, so spent, decayed, and enfeebled, that they must suddenly pluck it down, or it would suddenly prevent that labour, and fall to the Ground of it self. Which the Failings every day increasing (and more and more growing and appearing) did most evidently seem to threaten.

In great decay.


For this Cause, many of the Parishioners refused to go to it; many that went, went unwillingly, but all with much fear, where they sate with more: their Danger, all the time, much troubling and disturbing their Devotion.

This great Necessity inforcing, it was the last Year, 1632. betwixt Easter and Midsummer, pull'd down; and yet July, 1633. (a sad object) so lies in its pitiful Ruins.

Pulled down, An. 1632.

Many of the ablest sort of this Parish, to shew they would do what they could towards the recovery of this great Loss, have joined certain Monies (their free and voluntary Gifts) together, which they have again disbursed in Stone, and some other Materials.

But this many, being but few, to the number of those that in this kind can do little or nothing; and their good Wills falling extreamly short of that great Sum that must begin and finish so great a Work as this, they were

A Collection for the rebuilding it.