[St. Alphage.] Cripplegate Ward. 73

[St. Alphage.] Cripplegate Ward.

Under a Grave stone in the middle Isle, lies interred Anne Betton, Wife of Timothy Betton, Merchant; by whom he had issue five Sons and one Daughter. She deceased 23 June, 1713.

Mrs. Mary Hack., Relict of Mr. Edmund Hack. Sept. 20. 1704.

No Bequests or Legacies to the Church, but a Legacy to the Poor, by the Lady Gresham, of 3l. per Ann. paid by the Mercers Company.

No Parsonage or Vicarage House.]

Beneath this Church have ye Gayspur lane, which runneth down to London Wall, as is afore shewed. In this Lane, at the North end thereof, was (of old time) a House of Nuns; which House being in great decay, Wil. Elsing, Mercer, in the Year of Christ 1329. the 3d of Edward III. began, in place thereof, the Foundation of an Hospital, for sustentation of One Hundred blind Men. Towards the Erection whereof, he gave his two Houses in the Parishes of St. Alphage, and our blessed Lady in Aldermanbury, neat Cripplegate; obtaining first the King's Letter of Mortmain, under the great Seal of England.

Gayspur Lane.

Priory o Hospital, called Elsing Spittle.

This House was, after, called a Priory or Hospital of St. Mary the Virgin, founded in the Year 1332. by William Elsing, for Canons regular: The which William became the first Prior there.

Rob. de Draycote, Prior Hospital. b'tæ Mariæ de Elsyng Spittell, Lond. An.1386.

Elsing Spitttle.

Reg. Lond.

E. A.

Dom. Wil. Bowland. Prior Hospitalis Elsing Spittel, London, Sept. 13. 1496.]

Robert Elsing, Son to the said William, gave to the said Hospital, 12l. by the Year, for the finding of three Priests. He also gave one Hundred Shillings towards the inclosing of the new Church-yard without Aldgate; and one Hundred Shillings, to the inclosing of the new Church-yard without Aldersgate. To Thomas Elsing, his Son, 80l. The rest of his Goods to be sold, and given to the Poor. This House, valued at 193l. 15s. 5d. was surrendered the 11th of May, the 22d of Henry VIII.

Charterhouse Church yard without Aldersgate, and one other the like without Aldgate.

In the same Place where the foresaid Elsing Spittle and Priory were formerly situated; there is now newly erected a College for the Clergy of London, and Liberties thereof, called by the Name of Syon College: And Almshouses for twenty poor People, ten Men, and ten Women. The Particulars whereof were shewn in the first Book, Chap XXIV.

A College for the Clergy of London.

A. M.



The Monuments that were in this Church, defaced; Thomas Cheyney *, Son to William Cheyney, Thomas, John, and William, Sons of Sir William Cheyne. John Northampton, Draper, Maior, 1381. Edmond Hungerford, Henry Frowike, Joan, Daughter to Sir William Cheney, Wife to William Stokes. Robert Elderbroke, Esq; 1460. Dame * Joane Ratcliffe, Wife of William Fowler; William Kingston, Thomas Swineley, and Helen his Wife, &c.

Monuments in Elsing Spittle.



The Parish Church of St. ALPHAGE.


The principal Isle of this Church, towards the North, was pulled down, and a frame of four Houses set up in the place. The other part of this Church, (from the Steeple upward) was converted into a Parish-Church of St. Alphage: And the Parish Church which stood near unto the Wall of the City, by Crip- plegate, was pulled down, and the plot thereof made a Carpenters Yard, and Saw-pits.

St. Alphage.

The Hospital it self, the Prior, and Canons House, with other Lodgings, were made a dwelling House; the Church-yard is a Garden plot, and a fair Gallery on the Cloister. The Lodgings for the Poor, are translated into Stabling for Horses.

This Hopsital what it was afterwards.

In the Year 1541. Sir John Williams, Master of the Kings Jewels, dwelling in this House, on Christmas Even at Night, about Seven of the Clock, a great Fire began in the Gallery thereof; which burned so Sore, that the Flame firing the whole House, and consuming it, was seen all the City over, and was hardly quenched. Whereby many of the Kings Jewels were burned, and more imbezelled, as was said.

Elsing Spittle burned.

This Church of St. Alphage (the Decays in divers parts of it calling upon the Parishioners for it) began to be repaired in the Year of our Lord, 1624. the Repair continuing the two following Years. In which time, the Masons Work amounted to 400l. The Reparations went on in the Years 1627. and 1628. in which last it was finished; arising to 100l. more, at the sole Cost and Charge of the Parish.


William Syddon,
John Lawrence,

This Church was again repaired and beautified, 1701.

J. S.

This Church, on the East part of it, is built with smooth flint Stones, and so, perhaps, is some other parts of it, which seem to have been taken from the Ruins of Elsing Spittle.



Monuments in St. Alphage, and Persons buried here.

Mr. Francis Williams, Brothers Son to the Lord Williams of Thame, was (Feb. 15. 1559.) brought form Fleetstreet, and buried here. And three Days after, was the Corps of Mr. John Williams, Heir to the Lord of Thame, conducted hither from Pauls Chain, to be buried; with a Penon of Arms, and his Coat Armour, an Herald and Mourners attending: And Twelve Gentlemen bare him: Twenty Clerks before singing. The Funeral Sermon preached by Mr Veron, the French Man.

The Lord Williams of Thame, was likewise buried in this Church. And so was his Successor in that House, viz. Sir Rowland Hayward, Maior, dwelling in this Spittle, 1593. Richard Lee, alias, Clarenciaulx, King of Arms, 1597. &c.

Here lieth the Body of Sir Rowland Hayward, Knight, twice Lord Maior of this City of London, and living an Alderman the space of 30 yeeres; and (at his death) the ancientest Alderman in the said City. He lived beloved of all good Men, and died (in great Credit and Reputation) the fifth day of December, Ann. Dom. 1593. And the 36 yeere of the Reigne of our Soveraigne Lady Queene Elizabeth. He had two vertuous Wives, and by them many happy Children.
Joane, Daughter of William Tillesworth, Esq; was the first Wife to Sir Rowland Hayward, by whom he had issue, 3 Sons and 5 Daughters. Which 3 Sons, and 2 of the Daughters, died in their Infancy. The eldest of the surviving Daughters, named Elizabeth, was first mar-

A very goodly Monument in the Wall of the Quire, on the South side.

A. M.