Bassings Hall Ward. [Charities.] 68

Bassings Hall Ward. [Charities.]

A Monument in the East Wall, on the South side of the Altar, for Dr. Wharton, an eminent Physician of London: His Epitaph is as followeth.

Siste pedem Viator,
Quisquis es, ac venerare THOMæ WHARTON, M.D.C.L.M.S. quod fuit mortale heic juxta situm est. Qui Winstoniæ apud Dunelmenses natus, Cantabrigiæ apud Pembrochianos educatus, Non ipsius natalis Soli, Non Academiæ, sed in commune Humani generis Commodum Natum se, Educatumq, Factis comprobavit.
Vir justus, probus, pius, Omnimodô eruditione cæteris hominibus hac solummodo conditione impar, quod omnes sui seculi Medicos facile antecelluerit. Grassante infami illâ LONDONIIS Peste, Hoste insensissimâ AnnoMDCLXVI. Rebus ad Triarios jam planè perductis, Receptusq; aliis cenentibus, Fixis Aquilis, Adhæsit immotus, Saluti publicæ velle asserens prospicere, Alienæ appertentem, suæ profusum Natus An. MDCXIV. Obiit MDCLXXIII.

J. Wor.



The Gifts and Charities to this Parish., as they were given in at the last Parochial Visitation, were


The Lady Anne Vaughan gave
for a Weekly Lecture, from Micha-
elmas to Lady Day, per Ann.
And is paid by the Churchward-
ens of St. Laurence Old Jewry; and
secured by the Rent of an House
in Whitechappel, near Pettitcoat lane,
now in the Occupation of an Apo-
Sir Wolstan Dixy, Kt. gave 1000
per Ann. for two Lectures to be
preached in the said Church. To be
paid by the Company of Skinners;
and secured by the Ground Rent of
the Houses of Sir Jeremy Sambrook,
and Sir Willi. Hedges. Both these
Gifts by the last Wills of the

The Ground of the Parsonage House of this Parish, was let to Edward Dale for Forty five Years, to build upon, from the Year 1676. at 10l. per Ann. being Fourteen Foot in breadth, and Sixteen Foot in depth.




In this Church hangeth up a Table of Benefactors. Those Gifts which are annual unto the Poor, are these.

 Per Ann.
An. 1485. John baker gave01000
1561. John Richardson00100
1575. Lady Anne Bacon14000
And for other uses06000
1582. Richard Adams, and
Margaret his Wife,
1583. John Story, by the Week,
n Bread
1587. Thomas Rose, weekly in
 Per Ann.
1592. Sir Wolstan Dixy, to be
distributed at his Death
And for ever,03068
1608. Cicily Siol, Weekly in
1617. Margaret Dean01000
1618. John Gardiner, late De-
puty, gave at his Death
1625. Alderman Elkin, Weekly
in Bread
1629. Elizab. Elkin gave10000
1630. John Banks, late Deputy,
for ever
And at his Death20000
1632. Rob. Geoffries gave10000
John Lock, to Christs Hospiaal,
a Maintenance for two poor Chil-
dren from this Parish, for ever
1633. Alderman Baskerfield, for
1634. Sir Robert Ducie40000
1635. Sir Randol Cranfield20000
1636. Lady Ducie30000
1647. Emmanuel Bird, for ever06000
Divers other Gifts of Charity, but none Annual.]


Thus have you noted one Parish Church of St. Michael Blackwel Hall, a Market Place for Woolen Cloths; the Masons Hall, Weavers Hall, Girdlers Hall, and Coopers Hall.

Now for the present State of this Ward.

Present State.

Bassinghall street, of which this little Ward consists, is of no great Uniformity, as not running strait, nor of an equal breadth. But it is graced with good Buildings, and well inhabited by Merchants; [And namely, among others, lately deceased, Sir Rowland Aynsworth, Kt. who traded to the East Indies, Hamburgh, Holland, and other Parts, inhabiting a very spacious well built House, with a Court in the middle; where Sir Christopher Pack sometime kept his Maioralty.]

R. B.

J. S.

In this Street, on the West, stands Balckwel Hall, one of the publick Edifices of the City. It is very large, having two open square Courts one within the other, with Free stone Buildings round. One Court is next to Bassinghall street, and the other openeth into Guild Hall Court. In this Hall are several large Rooms or Warehouses, as well below, as above Stairs; in which Rooms, the Cloths are exposed to sale by the Factors employed of the Clothiers, on the Market Days; which are on Thursdays, Fridays, and Saturdays; but the principal is Thursday. As to the other places of Name in this Street, I shall speak of them in order, as they lie in the said Street.

Blackwel Hall.

Kings Arms Tavern, a House of a very good Trade; hath a Passage into Catteaten street. Masons Alley, hath a passage into Coleman street, through White Rose Alley; in which is seated Masons Hall, a small Building. Cut Throat Alley, hath a passage up Steps into Guild Hall Court, by the Chappel. At the upper end of this Court, are Buildings made use of by the City Officers. And here the Chamberlain of this City hath his residence. Weavers Hall, a good handsome large Building, with a Garden behind it. Next is Coopers Hall, a fair large Building.

Kings Arms Tavern.

Masons Alley.

Masons Hall.

Cut Throat Alley.

Weavers Hall.

Cowpers Hall.

Then is St. Michael Bassingshaw Church. This Church was destroyed by the Fire of London, and rebuilt as now it is; being a good handsome Brick Building, with a Church yard.

St. Michael Bassingshaw Church.