|[St. Sythes.] Cheape Ward. ||27
said; and on the South side, to the end of St. Sythes lane. Then crossing over
to St. Bennet Shorhogs Church, it stretcheth all along through Needlers lane, by
Pancrates Church, on the same side, until ye come to a great Gate; which is in
the nook of a
little passage or entry to the West, and is the back Gate of a House standing in
sometime the dwelling House of Mr. Parnis. Then again it stretcheth from the
Chain in the
midst of Sopers lane (on both sides the Lane) upward toward the North, into
Cheap on the
South side, and so into Bow lane, as is aforesaid.
Thirdly, for the last place of this Wards beginning: On the North side of the
near unto the Stocks-Market, is an Alley or Lane, called Scalding Alley, not
(as some have published) but truly, as nearest to the most antient denomination
which was, Scalding-house, alias Scalding-wike, and Scalding lane; as appeareth
Records extant, of two hundred Years continuance. Within the Venel or entry of
or Alley, near unto the Well, that standeth in a corner to the West, this Ward
the end of the stone Wall, wherein is the Door leading unto the Parsonage House
Church of St. Mildred (of which more anon) and it runneth on that side the
to the East corner of the said Church; and from thence, on the North side of the
the Compter, and Cony-hoop lane; and within Cony-hoop lane, into all Skinners
the Grocers Hall and Garden; and then back again into the Old Jewry Lane, on the
side, as far as Alderman Weld's House; and on the East side, as far as the dead
of the great House over against it, sometime Alderman Anderson's House. Then to
to the West end of Old Jewry again, this Ward stretcheth along on the North side
Mercers Hall unto Ironmongers lane, (which all wholly on both sides, is in this
so into Catton street. In Catton street this Ward entreth toward the East, at a
antiently known by the sign of the Talbot, on the South side, now in the tenure
Packhurst; and over-against it, on the North side, at a deep channel, issuing
out of a
House, and so goeth up to the West on both sides, videlicet, on the South side
of the way,
beyond the end of St. Lawrence lane, until ye come to that middle part of the
which is beyond the Church Porch; and on the North side, from that corner of the
Wall, it goeth on the East side of the Channel to the Church Yard; and from
thence, on both
sides the way, unto the outwards Gate leading unto Guildhall Yard, and adjoining
Tavern of the three Tuns. Then again to come into Cheap, there, on the North
side, is St.
Lawrence lane; all which is wholly of this Ward, and so is Hony lane above that:
And so it
reacheth Westward, as far as a shallow Channel, close beyond the Standard. And
stand the Bounds of Cheap Ward.]
Now for Antiquities and Things worthy of Memory there: First is Buckles bury, so
of a Manour and Tenements pertaining to one Buckle, who there dwelled, and kept
Courts. This Manour is supposed to be the great stone Building, yet, in part,
the South side the Street: which, of late time, hath been called the old Barge,
of such a Sign
hanged out near the Gate thereof. This Manour or great House, hath of long time
divided or letten out into many Tenements: and it hath been a common Speech,
Walbrook did lie open, Barges were
rowed out of the Thames, or towed up so far; and therefore the Place hath ever
called the old Barge.
The Antiquities of this Ward.
The old Barge.
Barges towed up Walbrook unto Buckles
Also, on the North side of this Street, directly over against the said Buckles
bury, was one
antient strong Tower of Stone: The which Tower, King Edward III. in the 18th of
Reign, by the Name of the King's House, called Cornets-tower in London, did
be his Exchange of Money, there to be kept. In the 29th, he granted it to
Guynisane, and Landus Bardoile, Merchants of Luke, for 20l. the Year. And in
the 32d of
his Reign, he gave it to his College, or free Chappel of St. Stephen at
Westminster, by the
Name of his Tower, called Cornettes-Tower at Buckles bury in London.
A Tower in Buckles Bury belonging to King Edward
III. called Cornets Tower.
This Tower, of late Years, was taken down by one Buckle a Grocer; meaning, in
thereof, to have set up and builded a goodly Frame of Timber. But the said
greedily labouring to pull down the old Tower, a piece thereof fell upon him;
bruised him, that his Life was thereby shortned. And another, that married his
up the new prepared Frame of Timber, and finished the Work.
This Tower taken down, and built into an
This whole Street, called Buckles bury, on both the sides throughout, is
Grocers and Apothecaries toward the West end thereof. On the South side,
one other short Lane, called in Records, Peneritch street: It reacheth but to
St. Syth's Lane,
and St. Syth's Church is the farthest part thereof. For by the West end of the
beginneth Needlers Lane, which reacheth to Sopars Lane, as aforesaid.
Grocers and Apothecaries in Buckles Bury.
The Parish Church of St. SYTHE, or BENNET SHEREHOG, or SHROG.
This small Parish Church of St. Sythes hath also an addition of Bennet Shorne,
or Shorehog, (for by all these Names I have read it:) But the antientest is
Wherefore it seemeth to take that Name form one Benedict Shorne, sometime a
Stock-Fish monger of London; a new Builder, Repairer, or Benefactor thereof, in
Reign of Edward II. So that Shorne is but corruptly called Shrog, and more
Shorehog, or (as now) Sherehog.
St. Sythes Church Benet Shorn.
John Fresh, by his Will dated Sept, 1397. gives to the Minister, Churchwardens,
Parishioners of this Parish, four Marks yearly Rent, issuing out of his House at
of Do little Lane, London: In sustentaconem Capellani idonei Divina celebratur.
Capellam Sanctæ Scythæ, pro anima sua, & diabus Patris, Matris,
St. Sythe's Chappel.
This Church being very much decayed and perished, was amply repaired and
the cost of the Parishoners, in the Year of Lord God 1628.
Divers fair Marble Stones, that formerly lay hid under the Pews, were then
placed in the Body of the Church, to add, (as was most fit) to its further Grace
There lie buried in this Church, John Froysh, * Mercer, Maior, 1394. John
Robert Rochford, John Hold, Alderman, Hen. Froweke, Mercer, Maior 1435. Edward
Warrington, John Morrice, John Huntley, Richard Lincolne, Felmonger, 1548. Sir
*Fresh, First Edit.
Persons buried here.
© hriOnline, 2007
The Stuart London Project, Humanities Research Institute, The University of Sheffield,
34 Gell Street, Sheffield, S3 7QY