Billingsgate Ward. Modern State thereof. 172

Billingsgate Ward. Modern State thereof.

sold it with the Appurtenances, unto Henry the antient and Right Noble Earl of Arundel, for 186l. 13s. 4d. where he seems to have dwelt afterwards.]

This Parish Church of S. George in Boltulph Lane, is small, but the Monuments (for two hundred Years past) are well preserved from Spoil. Whereof one is Of Adam Bamme, Maior, 1397.

Richard Bamme, Esq; his Son, of Gillingham in Kent, 1452.

John Walton, Gentleman, 1401.

Marper, a Gentleman, 1400.

John Saint John, Merchant of Levant, and Agnes his Wife, 1400.

Hugh Spencer, Esq; 1424.

William Combes, Stockfishmonger, one of the Sheriffs, 1452, Who gave 40l. towards the Works of that Church.

James Mounford, Citizen and Barber and Surgeon, by his Will Oct. 5. 1544. gave to the Parson and Churchwardens of S. George Botulph Lane, London, a Tenement called the Sign of the Bear in Boltulph Lane, which he purchased of the King, of the yearly Rent of 5l. to keep in the Church of S. George Botulph Lane, an Obit or Anniversary for his Soul. Bestowing yearly at the same Obit, 20s. And that they do every Year buy 4 Cartloads of Great Coals; 2 of which shall be given to the Poor People of the said Parish, at the Feast of All-Saints, and the other 2 Cart Loads about Christmas.]

Regist Lond.

Moundford's Obit in this Church.

J. S.

John Stocker, Draper, one of the Sheriffs, 1477.

Richard Dryland, Esq; and Katharine his Wife, Daughter to Morrice Brune, Knt. of Southukenton in Essex, Steward of the Houshold to Humphry Duke of Glocester, 1487.

Nicholas Partrich, one of Sheriffs 1519. [In the Churchyard.]

William Forman, Maior, 1538.

James Mounford, Esq; Surgeon to King Henry the Eighth, buried 1544.

Thomas Gayle, Haberdasher, 1540.

Nicolas Wilford, Merchant Taylor, and Elizabeth his Wife, about the year 1551.

Edward Heywood, 1573, &c.

Roger Delakere, founded a Chantry there.


In this Church also is Queen Elizabeth's Monument, who dyed Anno Regni 45. ætat. suæ 70. 24 Martii Anno Salutis 1602.

I have fought a good Fight, &c.]

Modern Monuments and Gravestones in this Church of S. George's, since the great Fire.

Modern Monuments.

J. S.

Against the East Wall, a Monument for Daniel Wigfall Merchant, deceased 1698.

Flat Stones. For Godfrey Son of James Milner of London, Merchant, 1704.

Joanna Holder, Daughter of Melitiah Holder, late of Berbadoes, 1701.

Mary Chambers late Wife of Henry Chambers, 1680.

George Clint, Parish Clark 30 years, 1605.



To this Parish belong these charitable Gifts and Bequests. Viz.


Margaret Dean gave per Ann.016
Mr. Clint,168
Mr. Gale,100

There was a Parsonage House before the Fire. The Ground was leased by Dr. Sherlock the Incumbent for 40 Years, at the yearly Rent of 4l.]


Then have ye one other Lane called Rother Lane, or Redrose Lane, of such a Sign there; now commonly called Pudding Lane, because the Butchers of Eastcheap have their Scalding House for Hogs there, and their Puddings with other Filth of Beasts, are voided down that way to their Dung Boats on the Thames.

Rother Lane, now Pudding Lane.

This Lane stretcheth form Thamesstreet to Little Eastcheap, chiefly inhabited by Basket Makers, Turners and Butchers, and is all of Billingsgate Ward.

The Garland in Little Eastcheap, sometime a Brewhouse, with a Garden on the Backside, adjoining to the Garden of Sir John Philpot, was the chief House in this Eastcheap. It is now divided into sundry small Tenements, &c.

The Garland.

Now for the present State and Condition of this Ward.

In this Ward the dreadful Fire of London began, and in a few Hours it was wholly laid in Ashes. This Ward hath for its Western Bounds Bridge Ward within; for its Northern Langborne Ward; for its Eastern Towerstreet Ward; and for its Southern the River of Thames, as appears by the Map.

Its Bounds.

R. B.

The chief Places in this Ward are, Thamesstreet, Little Eastcheap, Pudding Lane, Botolphs Lane, Love Lane, St. Mary Hill, Rood Lane for about 200 Foot, and Philpot Lane for about 150 Foot; the rest of these Lanes being in Langborne Ward. And in these Places are several Courts and Places of Name; of which in order.

Places in this Ward.

Thamesstreet, a place of a very considerable Trade, and that by reason of Billingsgate therein seated. In this part of the Street there are several Keys and Wharfs for the lading and unlading of Merchandizes, there being Cranes, Keys, and other Conveniences for the said Purpose.


The Keys, Wharfs and Docks, which are now assigned and allowed to be lawful by an Act of Parliament, for shipping, lading and landing of Goods and Merchandizes, are these; 1. Brewers Key, 2. Chesters Key, 3. Gally Key, 4. Wool Dock, 5. Custom House Key, 6. Porters Key, 7. Bears Key, 8. Sabs Key, 9. Wiggans Key, 10. Youngs Key, 11. Rafes Key, 12. Dice Key, 13. Smarts Key, 14. Billingsgate, 15. Somers Key, 16. Lions Key, 17. Buttolphs Key, 18. Hamons Key, 19. Gaunts Key, 20. Cocks Key and Fresh Wharf.]

The present Keys allowed by Parliament.

J. S.

Billingsgate is that from which the Ward takes its Name, being a large Water Gate, Port, or Harbour for small Vessels which here arrive with Fish, Salt, Oranges, Lemons, Onions, and several other Commodities; and in the Summer Season with abundance of Cherries from Kent. Likewise Wheat and other Grain at Smarts Key. And these Stairs of Billingsgate are very much resorted unto by the Gravesend Watermen, this being the noted Place to land and take water at, for that and other Eastern Towns down the River. And here the Coalmen and Woodmongers meet every Morning about 8 or 9 a Clock, this Place being their Exchange for the Coal Trade, which brings a great resort of People, and occasions a great Trade to the Inhabitants. And this Place is now more frequented than in ancient time when Queen Hithe was made use of for the said Purpose, this being more commodious. And therefore it was ordained to be the only Port for all such sorts of Merchandizes.


Gravesend Watermen.

The Woodmongers meet here.

Boss Alley being long, but very ordinary and narrow.

Boss Alley.

Near unto this Alley is St. Mary Hill, which runneth Northwards unto St. Margaret Pattens

St. Margaret Pattens Church.