Bishopsgate Ward. St. Helens. 100

Bishopsgate Ward. St. Helens.

Gilbert Maryon of Meldebone by his Will dated August 10. 1391. founded a Chantry in this Church.]

S. Ethelburga.

Regist. Lond.

E. A.

In this Church are a few Monuments and Gravestones. As for one Williams, that had attended on 42 Maiors. Deceased 19. July 1583. He is covered with a flat Stone in the Body of the Chancel; on which there is the Representation of a Man in Brass, wearing a Gown, and one behind him kneeling, with his two Wives.

Monuments in this Church.

J. S.

On the Stone these Verses;

Unusquisq; dui gaudet, bene vivere nemo.
Quisq; piè debet vivere [nemo] diu.

Against the North Wall a Monument for John Cornelius Linkebeck Merchant. Aged 63. Anno 1655. He left behind him by his first Wife Mary, three Sons, Henry, Jacob and Peter, and one beloved Daughter Mary.

John Lamb Son of William Lamb Gent. and Katharine his Wife. Nov. 3. 1681.

Bequests and Legacies to the Poor of this Parish amount to about 12l.

Charities belonging to this Parish.

There is a Parsonage House, situate near the Church. And 6s. 8d. given for a Sermon to be preached every 5th of November.

A Table of Benefactors to the Church and Poor of the Parish of St. ETHELBURGA.


Mr. John Steward gave per Ann.011400
Mr. Rob. Kitching gave per Ann.
for Repair of the Steeple
Mr. Rob. Kitching gave per Ann
for Bread
Mr. Tho. Jennings gave per Ann.
for ever
Mr. Gibbs gave per Ann. for ever021200
The Lady Dean gave per Ann.
for ever
Mr. Tho. Jennings gave per Ann.
for ever
Mr. Tho. Dawson gave per Ann.
for ever for the Poor of 10
Mr. Richard Glover gave200000
Mr. John Cornelius Linkebeck gave100000
Mrs. Susanna Linkebeck gave200000
Mr. Nicholas Whiston gave200000
Mr. Tho. Bates in Plate121400
Mr. Francis Grant gave050000
Mr. Hamlet Clark gave the Branch in
the Church.
He gave also the Altar-piece and
the Ornaments, Lion and Uni-
He also gave to the Poor200000
Mr. Clement Austin gave to the
And also gave per Ann. for ever
to buy Coals for the Use of
the Poor

J. Worthing.

And so much for St. Ethelburge.

And from thence some small distance is a large Court, called Little St. Helens, because it pertaineth to the Nuns of St. Helens, and was their House: There are seven Alms Rooms or Houses for the Poor: belonging to the Company of Leathersellers. Then somewhat more West is another Court with a Winding Lane, through which Men come out against the West end of St. Andrew Undershaft's Church.

Priory of St. Helen's and Almshouses.

The Parish Church of St. HELEN.


In this Court standeth the fair Church of St. Helen, sometime a Priory of Black Nuns: and in the same a Parish Church of St. Helen.

St. Helen's Church.

This Church was begun to be repaired in the Year of our Lord 1631. and was fully repaired, and in every Part of it richly and very worthily beautifed, at the Cost and Charge of the Parishioners in theYear of our Lord 1633.

Repaired and beautified.


William Hurt,
Thomas Aldridge.

If this brief [Account] shall be thought too little for so great a Repair and Beauty, I desire the Reader to enlarge the Commendations from that, among the rest, that most shall make to that Purpose.

The Charge of this great Repair was the Sum of 1300l. upwards.]

The said Priory long since was founded before the Reign of Henry III. as I have found in Records, William Basing, Dean of St. Paul's, was the first Founder, and was there buried, and William Basing, one of the Sheriffs of London, in the second Year of Edward II. was holden also to be a Founder, or rather an helper there. This Priory being valued at 314l. 2s. 6d. was surrendred the 25th of November, the 30th of Henry VIII. The whole Church, the Partition betwixt the Nuns Church and the Parish Church being taken down, remaineth now to the Parish, and is a fair Parish Church, but wanteth such a Steeple, as Sir Thomas Gresham promised to have builded in recompence of Ground in their Church filled up with his Monument.

The Priory.

Sir Thomas Gresham promised a Steeple.

The Nuns Hall, and other housing thereto pertaining, was since purchased by the Company of Leathersellers, and is their common Hall: Which Company was incorporate in the 21st Year of Richard II.

The Nuns Hall, now Leather Sellers Hall.

The Parsonage of St. Helen's was in the Crown in the Days of Q. Elizabeth. A Lease whereof she granted about the Year 1588. to one Captain Nicolas Oseley for his good Service against the Spaniards: A Person, who being in Spain in these dangerous Times, had sent very good Intelligence thence; and likewise in the Fight against the Spanish Fleet in 88. Whereupon Howard, Lord Admiral, sent a Letter in his behalf to the Lord Treasurer, that for the Causes abovementioned, it was the Queen's Pleasure, that he should stay the same Parsonage, that no Lease of it in the mean be granted out of the Exchequer; which should prevent the Reward of one that had so well deserved, in adventuring his Life so many ways in her Majesty's Service.

The Parsonage of St. Helen's.

J. S.

But before this, in the 10th Elizab. May 27th, the Queen granted to Cæsar Adelmare and Tho. Colsil, the Rectory, Parish Church, Messuages, Tithes, &c. for 21 Years. Reserved unto her Majesty and her Heirs, the Advouson of the Vicarage.

Cæsar Adelmare had the Rectory.

The Rectory came afterwards to Michael Stanhope, Esq; and Edward Stanhope, LL.D. and one of the Masters of the Court of Chancery, 20l. to be issuing from the said Rectory every Year pro stipendio, i.e. for a Salary to a sufficient Preacher of God's Word, to be allowed by the Bishop of London. The Parish have a Copy of the Queen's Sale: Granting to them the whole Rectory and Church of St. Elen's, with their Rights, Members, and Appurtenances, late belongong to the Priory of St. Elen's; and all the Messuages, Houses, Edifices, Gardens, and Tithes, Oblations, Rents, Fruits, Profits, Advantages, Commodities, &c. This bore date, at Westminster, 13. Sept. 41. Regin.]