Bishopsgate Ward. Artillery Yard. 96

Bishopsgate Ward. Artillery Yard.

there buried (by whose Perswasion he inclosed it) but himself born in London, was buried in the Parish Church of Hackney.

This was called New Churchyard near Bethelem. Where upon Whitsunday, the Lord Maior, and his Brethren the Aldermen, used to resort to hear a Sermon. And this was practised Anno 1584, "When (according to a Letter from Recorder Fleetwood to the Lord Treasurer) a very good Sermon was preached at this new Churchyard before the Lord Maior Sir Edward Osborn, and his Brethren. And by reason no Plays were the same Day [i.e. Whitsunday, as there used to be] all the City was quiet."

A Sermon here on Whitsunday.

J. S.

On the South Side of this Churchyard over a folding Gate; this Inscription was engraven in great Letters.

THOMAS ROE miles, cum Prætor esset LONDINENSIS, hunc locum Reipublicæ, in usum publicæ Sepulturæ communem, suo sumptu dedicavit, Anno Dom. 1569.

The Inscription over the Gate.

Which Inscription even in the latter end of Queen Elizabeth's Reign, began to decay, and some Letters were utterly defaced. Which was the cause that A. F. one of the Compilers of Hollingshed's Chronicle, inserted it into the said Book: That so the Memory of the worthy Benefactor might not vanish and be lost with the fading Inscription.]

From this Hospital Northward upon the Streets side, many Houses have been builded with Alleys backward, of late time too much pestered with People (a great cause of Infection) up to the Bars.

Buildings in Bethlem.

The other Side of this high Street from Bishopsgate and Houndsditch, the first building is, a large Inn for receipt of Travellers, and is called the Dolphon, of such a Sign.

Dolphin without Bishopsgate.

In the Year 1513. Margaret Ricroft, Widow, gave this House with the Gardens and Appurtenances, unto William Gam, R. Clye, their Wives, her Daughters, and to their Heires, with Condition, they yearely give to the Warden or Governor of the Gray Friers Church within Newgate, 40s. to finde a Student of Divinity in the University for ever.

Then is there a fair House of late builded by the Lord John Powlet. Next to that, a far more large and beautiful House, with Gardens of Pleasure, Bowling Alleys, and such like, builded by Jasper Fisher, free of the Goldsmiths, late one of the sixe Clerkes of the Chancery, and a Justice of Peace. It hath since (for a time) been the Earl of Oxford's Place. The Queen's Majesty Elizabeth hath lodged there: It belonged to Mr. Cornwallis: Then to Sir Roger Manners. Afterwards it was the Earl of Oxford's, and after the Earl of Devon's. This House being so largely and sumptuously builded, by a Man of no greater Calling, or Possessions, [or Wealth, for he was indebted to many] was mockingly called Fisher's Folly, and a Rhyme was made of it, and other the like, in this manner;

Fishers Folly.

Kirkebies Castle, and Fisher's Folly,
Spinolas Pleasure, and Megses Glory.

And so of other like Buildings about the City Men have not letted to speak their Pleasure.

From Fisher's Folly up to the West end of Berward's Lane, (of old time so called, but now Hog Lane, because it meeteth with Hog Lane) which cometh from the Bars without Aldgate, as is afore shewed; is a continual building of Tenements, with Alleys of Cottages, pestered, &c. Then is there a large Close, called Tasell Close, sometime, for that there were Tasells planted for the use of Clothworkers: Since letten to the Cross-bow Makers, wherein they used to shoot for Games at the Popingey. Now the same being inclosed with a Brick Wall, serveth to be an Artillery Yard, [or Garden] whereunto the Gunners of the Tower weekly do repair; namely, every Thursday, and there levelling certain Brass Pieces of great Artillery against a Butt of Earth, made for that Purpose, they discharged them for their Exercise. [Present use is made thereof, by divers worthy Citizens, Gentlemen and Captains, using Martial Discipline, and where they meet (well near) weekly, to their great Commendation in so worthy an Exercise.

Berwards Yards.

Tasel Close.

Artillery Yard.

William, the last Prior of St. Mary Spittal, with his Convent, granted over this Artillery Garden for thrice 99 Years, for the Use and Practice of great and small Artillery.

J. S.

There was a Charter granted to the Fraternity of Artillery in great and small Ordinance by the famous Prince Henry VIII. And the Piece of Ground, called the Artillery Garden, mentioned before, by his Grace's Means was appointed for the Exercise of the same Fraternity; as by the Lease thereof appeared, granted to the same Fraternity. Which Lease was put into the Hands of Sir William Pelham, Lieutenant of the Ordinance. And the same Charter since was delivered to the Lord Burghley, Lord Treasurer under Queen Elizabeth.

A Charter for the Fraternity of Artillery.

Now for the farther Improvement of this Fraternity, and to make it useful to the Kingdom, one William Thomas, Master Gunner of the Queen's Ship the Victory, in the Year 1584. moved the Lords of her Council, that the same Charter might be confirmed, and new established, with other needful Additions thereto: And chiefly, for the increasing of Good Gunners for the Queen's Navy and Forts, viz. That some of their Honours, with the Earl of Warwick (who was Master of the Ordonance) should be chief Masters or Governors of the said Fraternity. That there might by the chief Masters or Governors be chosen four of the chiefest of her Majesty's Gunners to be Under-masters. Who, with the Master Gunner of England, might have the teaching of all the Scholars, and the proving of all such Men, as should take upon them the Charge of a Gunner in any of her Majesty's Ships, Forts or Castles, or should have any Gunners Fee: and to make report to the chief Masters of their Knowledge, before they should be admitted to any Service. That no Ship or Vessel, having Ordonance in her, should cross the Seas, without the same had in her such number of Gunners, as followeth, viz. That every Ship of the Burthen of 60 Tun, have three Gunners; whereof the Chief or Master Gunner to be such an one, as should be tried, allowed and licensed by such as should be for that Purpose appointed. And every Ship of 80 Tuns, four Gunners, to be tried, as aforeasaid. And so for every 20 Tun, one Gunner more. That the chief Officers in the Havens, Towns, Ports and Places, where Shipping is used, should take the Names of all Persons in the same Towns, Ports and Places, which took Charge or served as Gunners in any Ship or Vessel; and the same to register in a Book for that Purpose. And in every Easter Term to send up the same Names, and their Dwelling-places to the Master Gunner and his four Associates. By which it might be known, where to have skilful Gunners, to serve her Majesty, when Opportunity required. That all such Ships as should be freighted within the River of Thames with Merchandizes or Goods, should for the Safe-

The Art of Gunnery to be taught in this Fraternity.