[ The pagination has been corrected; it is page 155 in the
the Fifth of Q. Elizabeth conveyed it to Sir Rowland Hayward, Alderman of
for 700l. And afterward, Sir John Hayward, Son of Sir Rowland, sold it to
Parkhurst, except the abovesaid Quitrent, and 4l. per Annum for ever, left by
to the Poor of St. Alphage, to be distributed in Bread. Parkhurst, 3. Car. I.
sold it to
the Executors of Dr. White. Who, in pursuance of their Trust conveyed it to the
President and Fellows of Sion College.
In Prosecution of the said Dr. White's Will, a Charter was procured the 3. July,
I. under the great Seal of England, for incorporating the Clergy of London: By
all the Rectors, Vicars, Lecturers, and Curates, are constituted Fellows of the
And out of the Incumbents, are Annually to be Elected on Tuesday three Weeks
Easter, as Governors, a President, two Deans, and four Assistants, who are to
Quartlery, to hear a Sermon Ad Clerum; and afterwards to be entertained at a
the College Hall at the Charge of the Foundation.
The Bishop of London is Visitor. But no Bishop of London ever visited till July
1695, when the late Bishop Henry Lord Bishop of London visited.
Bishop of London, Visitor.
Anno 1632, The Governors and Clergy being summoned, agreed upon a Common
Seal, which had round it Sigillum Collegij de Sion Londini; and upon it the good
Samaritan with this Inscription, Vade & fac similiter, S. Luc. 10. 37. This
The Common Seal.
Consists of twenty distinct Rooms, for Ten Men within the College, and Ten Women
without it. They are to be nominated; Four by the City of Bristol, where Dr.
born; Eight by the Merchant Taylors Company; Six by the Parish of St. Dunstans,
where he was Minister 49 Years; and two by St. Gregories Parish, where he had
about Twenty Years; except any of the Kindred of either of his Wives appeared,
were first to be considered, not exceeding Four at a time. All which are to
at their Admission, that they be no charge to the College nor Parish of St.
The College appoints one to take care of them; see to the distribution of the
eject in case of Delinquency.
Besides the Benevolence of the Founder, one Mr. Brewer, by his last Will, made
Year 1684, gave them a Farm in Hertfordshire. They are paid Quarterly by the
Formerly it amounted to 6l. per Annum each; but now by reason of the falling of
Rents considerably (as one Manor in the Hundreds of Essex from 120l. per Annum
fallen to 70l. per Annum) their Allowances are somewhat abated.
The Poor's Allowances.
This was not appointed by the Founder, but what Mr. Simpson, one of the
did Erect at the Motion of Mr. Wood, Minister of St. Michael Crooked Lane; who
by at the building of the Alms House, told Mr. Simpson, that he might raise over
convenient Library, which Mr. Simpson hearkned to; and it cost him above 200l.
Mr. Spenser the first Library Keeper reported. And therefore, in the Charter of
Charles I. it is said that John Simpson was at great Charge in Erecting the
in Truth might justly be esteemed a Founder, in regard of the Pains and Charge
at, in recovering, settling, and perfecting the Whole.
The Library founded by Simpson.
The Books in the Library were given by several Benefactors. Some gave Money,
gave Books. The Chief of those that gave Money to purchase Books, were in the
1629, Sir Paul Bayning, Knt. and Bar. Baron of Horkesly, and Viscount Sudbury.
The Lady Bayning his Wife; Judge Croke; George Walker, B.D. Rector of St. John
Evangelist, who gave and procured 110l. And the Lady Romeney. In the Year 1630.
John Grenough, William Gonnel. Anno 1631. Richard Watson, D.D. of St. Mary
Aldermary. Anno 1632. John Harper, Treasurer of Christ's Hospital, and Robert
Parkhurst. Anno 1633. Sir Paul Pinder, Sir John Wolstenholm; Sir Abraham Dawes;
Sir John Jacob, Knts. and John Harrison, Esq; chief Farmers of his Majesties
Customs, gave 100l. Anno 1635. Daniel Romeney, Esq; Son to Sir William Romeney,
Knt. Anno 1636. Mrs. Joan Newton, &c. Those that gave Books were Sir Paul
Pinder, who gave divers MSS. Henry Fetherston, Michael Spark, John Day,
Stationers; and divers City Ministers, and other Learned Men, or Citizens, whose
Names are gratefully preserved in a large Vellum Book in the College, given by
foresaid Mr. Simpson, where the Names of the Benefactors with their several
The Books, and Benfactors.
This Library was also much augmented by the Library of the Cathedral of St.
which was carried first to Camden House, and thence brought to the College, Anno
But in the Year 1666, the dismal Fire which consumed this famous City, burnt
College with the Library, and a third part of the Books; as also the Hospital
for 20 poor
People; many convenient Chambers for Students, besides those that were reserved
the meeting of the Governors and Fellows, and for the Clerk and Library-keeper
dwell in; the whole Fabrick at a moderate Estimate being worth 4000l. There
lost the Rents of several Chambers within, and certain Tenements without the
to the Value of 106l. 6s. per Annum.
The Library and College consumed, Anno 1666.
Benefactors since the Fire were, in the Year 1667, Sir John Shaw, Sir John
Wolstenholm, Sir Robert Vyner, Sir Edmond Turner, Knights, Aldermen; Edward
Backwel, and Francis Millington, Esquires, chief Farmers of his Majesties
Customs gave 300l. Griffith Owen, Citizen and Brewer 100l. Edward, Lord Bishop
of Norwich. Dr. William Sancroft, Dean of St. Pauls, afterwards Archbishop of
Canterbury. Dr. Robert Pory, Residentiary of St. Pauls. Dr. Edward
Residentiary of St. Pauls. Dr. Simon Patrick, Rector of Covent-Garden. Dr.
Lake, Rector of St. Botolph Bishopsgate. Dr. William Bell, Vicar of St.
and divers other Reverend Divines of the City.
Benefactors to the Library after the Fire:
In the Year 1670, Daniel Mills, D.D. Rector of St. Olaves Hartstreet, President
Year, gave 40l. He also caused to be set up 19 compleat Stalls or Desks, and
Ones, wherein Books are placed for publick Uses. He wainscoted the upper End of
Library, and set up a fair Repository for Books, wherein now standeth the great
of France in many learned Languages, and whereon is placed the large Registry of
Benefactors. He also by himself, and Procurement of others, was very beneficial
rebuilding of the College and Library.
This Library was also enlarged by the Jesuits Books that were seized Anno, 1679.
at the Motion of the Governor, what were not before embezzelled were granted by
Charles II. to the College; as also by the Benefaction of the Lord Barkley, who
half his Uncle Cooke's Books to this Library, and promised the other half at his
Many others gave Books, whose Names are inserted into the Catalogue of the
Benefactors, and set down according to order in every Book they gave. Mr.
The Library enlarged.