The next is Greenwich, a Town on the Bank of the River Thames.


HERE the Kings of this Land had a fair Palace, and Park on a Hill adjoining to it: Part of which is turned into a vast Structure of Charity, for the Reception and Harbouring of such who have served in the Royal Navy or Merchant-Ships; and by Reason of Wounds, Loss of Limbs, or Age, are disabled.

The Palace.

J. S.

The Church of Greenwich is dedicated to St. Alphage, Archbishop of Canterbury, who is said to have been kill'd by the Danes, in the very Place where the Church is built.

Prayers are said here twice every Day; that is, in the Morning between Ten and Eleven, and at Night between Six and Seven. And twelve Monthly Sermons are preached here on the Wednesdays before the first Sundays in each Month. For both which, by a Collection made in the Parish, is paid 30l. per Ann.

This Church is furnished with an Organ.

There be two Free-Schools in this Parish. One founded by Sir William Boreman, Kt. for 20 Boys, who are to be boarded as well as taught. For which Use there is a large House appropriated for the Master and Scholars. The present Master is Mr. William Lee. The Boys wear Green Coats and Caps. This School is but of late Foundation, of twenty Years and upwards. The other School also maintains twenty Boys: For which the Founder left an Estate in Houses about the Church for ever. It was founded by Sergeant John R. The present Schoolmaster is Mr. William Herringham, who hath a Salary of 20l. a Year. These Boys wear Grey Coats.]

Two Schools in Greenwich.

In the Church are these ensuing Monuments.

In the Chancel on the South Side, a pretty Monument of a Man in Armour, kneeling at a Desk, with eight Sons behind him; and a Woman kneeling at the same with seven or eight Daughters behind her. Over their Heads this Inscription:


Dilectissimæ Conjugi Saræ Heitonæ Franciscus Heitonus Viduus Mœstus, non sine Lachrymis, posuit.

O mea Sara, oculis multo mihi Charior ipsis,
Deseris (heu!) viduum cur ita, Sara, virum?
Tu secura manes, portu requiescis Amœno,
Non tibi fraus, Moribus nec mala obesse valent.
Tu pace Æterna frueris, in vivis ovasque,
Quippe tibi est Terris gratior Aula Dei.
Conjux ipse tuus maneo vivoque superstes,
Mœstificis plenus sollicitudinibus.
Spero tamen tempusque brevi (mea sacra) futurum est
Cum te visurus sim, vel in Arce poli.
Cuncta tibi scio salva manent, vereque Beata es,
Cui mors vita fuit, vitaque morte viret.
Eheu! quam nostræ est evanida gloria vitæ,
Certa dies nobis nulla, nec hora datur:
Stare decet vigiles ergo, semperque paratos,
Ne mors incautos nos inopina premat.
Ecce rei testis, sacra hic Blomera, jugali
Francisco Hettono Consociato Thoro,
Annos octodecim: placuitque Marita Marito,
Nulla magis potuit, nec placuisse magis.
Filiolos illi peperit, ter quinque utriusque
Pignora: Et ex illis, octo fuere Mares.
Quadraginta Hyemes, binos si dempseris Annos
Vixit, & octodecim, suasilis uxor erat.     
Obiit 13 Jul. Anno Dom. 1600.

Another Monument on the South Side the Choir; with this Inscription.

D.O.M. Et Servatori. I.C.S.
In Memoriam
Gulielmi Hattecliffe, ex Antiqua Hatteclifforum, de Hattecliffe, in Agro Lincolniensi Familia oriundi. Qui cum summa in Deum pietate, in pauperes benignitate, in amicos humanitate, in omnes bonitate. Annos plus minus quinquaginta septem Cœlebs in terris vitam egisset tranquillam, tandem 17. nempe die Maii, Anno 1620. Deo Animam Reddidit Grenovici, & hic situs in pace quiescit.

On a Monument on the North Side of the Chancel is this Inscription.

In piam Memoriam dilectissimæ suæ conjugis.
Dorotheæ Lok Filiæ Jacobi Brampton, de Brampton, in Comitatu Norfolciæ Generosi, & Mariæ uxoris ejus, Filiæ clarissimi viri Edwardi Bulein Militis, & Annæ Tempestiæ uxoris ejus, &c. Quæ post Annos triginta sex, in hac peregrinatione terrena peractos (Annosque pene Trinos, in fideli, Castissimoque Matrimonio perimpletos) in vera Fidei Christianæ confessione, & Ardentissima Dei omnipotentis invocatione, pie ex hac vita decessit 24. die Februarii 1596.
Cujus corpus juxta inhumatur, in medio hujus Chori, Adjacente à sinistra corpore Henrici Lok filii sui. Zacharias Lok Amoris & officii ergo Monumentu hoc poni fecit 24. die Octobris 1597.

In an Ile on the North Side is this Inscription.

Egregio viro, Roberto Adams, operum Regiarum Supervisori, Architecturæ peritissimo; Religione, & moribus Integerrimo. Qui piè obiit Anno suæ Ætatis 1595.
Simon Basil operationum Regiarum Contrarotulator hoc posuit Monumentum 1601.

Next to the other is this Inscription.

Spiritus in Cælis, fæx hic Clementis Adami,     
Cui ex tredecim, septem pignora viva manent,
Regius ille diu vixit, moriturque Scholarcha,     
Tumque ubi bis septem lustra peregit, obit.
Anno Dom. 1516. Jan. 9.

Et lateri conjuncta jacet suavissima conjux,     
Quindenis Annis qua fuit ille minor.
Anno Dom. 1588. Maii 11.

Next to the other is this Inscription.

Near to this Place lyeth interred the Body of Mistress Mary Ward, late Wife of Richard Ward, Esq; Serjeant at Ams unto K. James and K. Charles; Father and Mother of Captain Cæsar Ward, who dyed in the Service of his King and Country in October 1627. She dyed in February following, in the aforesaid Year.

Which three Months Time with Sighs her grieved Life did spend;
Her Son's untimely Death hasten'd her End.]

But besides these Monuments already mentioned, there be in this Church of Greenwich many more both ancient and modern, viz. these that follow.

J. S.

In the Chancel.

A Stone before the Rails, having a Brass Plate thus inscribed in old Letters.

in script Enterred