This is an international interdisciplinary research project that will investigate how the banishment of hundreds of Christian clerics to a myriad of places all around the Mediterranean during the religious controversies of late antiquity shaped the institution of the Christian Church in this period and beyond.
The project will apply both quantitative and qualitative analysis to a wide range of sources – histories, hagiography, laws, letters, treatises, epigraphy and papyri – compiling a free online prosopographical database of banished late antique clerics and their socio-spatial networks, as well as books, articles and further events.
- Dr Julia Hillner (Principal Investigator, University of Sheffield)
- Dr Jakob Engberg (Co-Investigator, Aarhus University)
- Prof Jörg Ulrich (Co-Investigator, University of Halle)
- Dr Dirk Rohmann (Research Associate, University of Sheffield)
- Matthew Groves (Developer – The Digital Humanities Institute)
- Ryan Bloor (Developer – The Digital Humanities Institute)