The Cistercians in Yorkshire Project created a freely available web-based learning package exploring the history and architecture the Cistercian order in Britain in general and of five Cistercian Abbeys in Yorkshire: Fountains, Rievaulx, Byland, Roche and Kirkstall in particular.
Central to this learning package are three dimensional reconstructions of the five abbeys and their outbuildings. These are accompanied by texts explaining the history and importance of the Cistercian order and their abbeys.
Duration: 2001 – 2003
- Prof. Sarah Foot (Project Director – Dept of History, University of Sheffield)
- Nigel Williamson (Project Manager – Humanities Research Institute)
- Dr Julie Kerr (Postdoctoral Research Assistant – Humanities Research Institute)
- Carl Smith (Developer, 3D Visualisation – Humanities Research Institute)
- Mr Stuart Harrision (Archaeological Consultant, Ryedale Archaeological Services)