Entries in this index are the same as those found when you click on a highlighted name in a transcription. They are collected
here as an alternative route into the data. Clicking on an entry in the Name Index will, however, immediately display the
full record (including any possible cross-references and bibliography) and also allow you to find all textual occurrences
linked to that entry in the index.
There are six categories in the index:
- Persons covers named or identifiable individuals.
- Places lists historical regions, cities, towns, villages and countries (note that modern geographical names, such as those of French
départements, are not indexed).
- Institutions lists ecclesiastical institutions, orders of chivalry, and offices or titles held by ecclesiastical and secular rulers and
- Collectives lists various items such as ‘Flanders, Chartered Towns of’...
- Events lists battles.
- Peoples covers inhabitants of countries, regions, cities, towns and villages.
- All merges all the above categories and displays all available entries alphabetically.
The database is under regular review and is augmented as new transcriptions and other prosopographical and toponymic materials