Sheffield S3 8GA
Lady's Bridge

Lady's Bridge is the oldest bridge across the River Don in the City of Sheffield. It is located in the central section of the city, linking the Wicker to the north with Waingate to the south.

The original wooden bridge was constructed close to Sheffield Castle sometime after 1150 under the orders of William de Lovetot.

In 1485 the Vicar of Sheffield, Sir John Plesaunce and William Hill, a master mason, both agreed to build a bridge of stone "over the watyr of Dune neghe the castell of Sheffeld" at a cost of about '67. A small chapel, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, was built close to the bridge, and the bridge became known as 'Our Lady's Bridge'.

The bridge was widened on the upstream side in 1760, on the downstream side in 1864 and again in 1909, to allow trams across. It was restored in the late 20th century, and has been a Grade II listed structure since 1973.

In tradition with his Sheffield references, Richard Hawley's 2007 album Lady's Bridge was named after the landmark.