Photographic glass slide comparing two views of the Kirkstall Abbey ruins from the south. The image above is an engraving by Samuel Buck (1696-1779) of 1723. The photograph below was taken during the mid to later 19th century when the abbey and grounds were part of the Cardigan estates. The ruins had deteriorated by the time of this photograph. Large trees are growing amongst the ruins. Boat sheds can also be seen on the riverbank.