go to home page go to byland abbey pages go to fountains abbey pages go to kirkstall abbey pages go to rievaulx abbey pages go to roche abbey pages
The Cistercians in Yorkshire title graphic

Text only version

About the Project






Contact Us

Cistercian Abbeys: BRUERN

Name: BRUERN Location: nr Lyneham County: Oxfordshire
Foundation: 1147 Mother house: Waverley
Relocation: None Founder: Nicholas Basset
Dissolution: October 1536 Prominent members:
Access: Private property

This abbey was founded in 1147 by Nicholas Basset, who was joint sheriff in eleven counties.(1) The abbey was originally called ‘the church of St. Mary of the heath of Tretone’ and was colonised by monks from Waverley. In 1535 there were fifteen monks and the abbey had a net income of £136.(2) The abbey was dissolved in October 1536 and its buildings were progressively destroyed. Today there are no visible remains and the site is occupied by an eighteenth-century private house, which takes its name from the abbey.(3)